The Plan:

This summer I will be traveling to Costa Rica (May 16th - June 3rd) and Ecuador (June 3rd - July 25th). I will be studying in San Jose for a Mayterm course through Houghton College - taking a course about Costa Rican culture and brushing up on some Spanish grammar. Then I will travel from San Jose to Quito for the next two months. I will be interning/volunteering with MAP International during June and Alliance Academy International during July.



Saturday, July 9, 2011

Inside Out: Week 1

  
Trying to organize 90 kids for snack and entering the museum.


I am now Miss Liz from 9am - 12pm and Coach Liz after lunch until 4pm. I survived the first week of Inside Out summer camp at Alliance Academy. We have 90 kids, and may have more next week! Right now I'm teaching a class of 6 first graders - who have surprised me with how much English they know! They are so cute, and for the most part, very well behaved. We have class in the mornings, and then sports and recreation in the afternoon. This first week we were playing basketball - I attempted to teach lay-ups and referee a scrimage on the last day. On Wednesday we had a field trip in the morning instead of class: we went to el Museo del Agua (the water museum). I quickly learned that field trips are more work than teaching. We had to get all the kids on buses, then try and have them eat snack and stay in line to go into the museum. They seemed to have a lot of fun learning about water melting from the glaciers in the mountains, how to filter water, ocean currents, storms, and really anything else related to water. All my students told me the next day that their favorite part was the bubble room. Then Thursday we had a trip to go swimming in the afternoon. So after lunch we all got on buses and drove to one of the kid's houses outside of Quito. It was a big house, with a clay tennis court, volleyball court and the pool - but we had to take turns swimming. It was another rather chaotic afternoon, but no one drowned, so...After yesterday I was exhausted. Two more weeks to go!
Bubbles!

One of my students playing in the bubble room.

Learning about clean and polluted water.

No comments:

Post a Comment