The Plan:

This summer I will be traveling to Costa Rica (May 16th - June 3rd) and Ecuador (June 3rd - July 25th). I will be studying in San Jose for a Mayterm course through Houghton College - taking a course about Costa Rican culture and brushing up on some Spanish grammar. Then I will travel from San Jose to Quito for the next two months. I will be interning/volunteering with MAP International during June and Alliance Academy International during July.



Monday, June 20, 2011

Pizza Party

$8 peanut butter.
 When we returned from Santo Domingo we made pizza for Maggy and Giovanni for dinner and Amanda wanted to make fudge for dessert (they had never heard of fudge; people don't really bake here). We first had to go grocery shopping for some ingreedients - both Meg and Amanda were experiencing some culture shock. We couldn't find anything to make pizza dough, only pre-made crusts, and Amanda couldn't find a few ingreedient for fudge - like chocolate chips. I was shocked when I walked down an aisle and found Jif peanut butter, and even more shocked when I saw that it was $8 a jar! Peanut butter isn't very popular in other countries, and is usually imported so its expensive. We spent a long time finding everything we needed and while I was waiting with the cart an ecuadorian boy approached me and asked me if I was German. He told me that I'd caught his attention - I guess that's what I get for being blonde. We finally found everything, or at least substitutes for what we needed and then went to Maggy's house to cook. It was a pretty small kitchen and an even smaller oven, but we managed. The pizza was well worth it - and well documented, Givoanni was taking video of the whole process. Unfortunately Amanda's fudge did not turn out so well - it never became solid. It was really fun coaching Maggy and Giovanni on how to pronounce "fudge." They had a hard time saying the "dge" sound, so we suggested that they say "fu-Giovanni" since his name starts with the same sound. So that's what they called it. We stayed at Maggy's practicing salsa moves and showing "American" dances like the electric slide until almost 2am! 

Making pizza.

The final product!
  
"Making" chocolate chips.

Emily and Holger eating "fugiovanni."

No comments:

Post a Comment